Why is this measure important?
This measure helps track MCPL's goal of providing inspiring, engaging, and relevant resources, services, and opportunities to learn for all County residents in a cos-effective way.
Total use of library services includes program attendance, use of bookable rooms (includes meeting rooms and collaboration spaces), use of materials in the library, use of electronic resources, questions answered, visits to MCPL branches and the MCPL website, use of technologies in branches (includes computer use, copiers and printers), library cards issued and other services.
Projected measures account for estimations of service increases due to the County Executive's proposals for materials funding, library hours, and programming expansion, and the net estimated effects of library closures for Refresh and renovation, including use of nearby branches and interim facilities.
Factors contributing to current performance
- Offfered free branch programs and library services to meet the educational, informational and
recreational needs of a diverse County community
- Developed new library services and acquired new resources to address changing desires of County
Factors restricting performance improvement
- Closed two branches during FY17 for "refresh"
- Difficulties in accurately capturing some data points (WiFi, Information Questions)
Performance improvement plan
- Build on MCPL's strengths, including services to young children and new residents
- Put community input into action that lead to relevant collection materials and branch programs
Number of items checked out (circulation) and materials used in library
Attendance at library programs
This measure includes physical items checked out, and items used in a branch (combining two separately listed measures in prior publications).
Programs increased due to the 9.6% increase in library hours and related staffing increase in FY15, plus the programming of the MCPL Outreach Team.
eBooks and eAudioBooks borrowed
Library electronic database usage
Decrease between FY14 and FY15 reflects the movement of the "Safari Technology Books" database product out of this measure and into the Ebooks and EAudioBooks program measure (because the database product is an on-line e-book).
Information questions answered
The decrease in FY16 information questions answered reflected methodological challenges in gathering
online, real time statistics on information transactions.