Why is this measure important?
According to the Pew Research Center, most Americans believe local libraries serve the educational needs of their communities and families, and that library users often outpace others in learning activities. MCPL's mission is to offer free and equal access to services that connect individuals to ideas and information which sustain and enrich their lives. Each library branch provides educational, recreational and vocational resources and activities for community members of all ages.
This measure shows the total use of services for adult learning such as English conversation clubs, business counseling, book groups, online courses, and bilingual programs. Projections are based upon observed increases in use, strategic use of programming resources, and MCPL's Strategic Plan Goal to increase workforce development materials and programs through the work of a targeted position to promote workforce development programming.
Factors contributing to current performance
- Programs offered for adults and prospective retirees on personal finance
- Extended hours for several branches
Factors restricting performance improvement
- Working with database vendors to obtain timely, accurate statistics for online classes enrollment and resource use.
- A number of branches were closed in FY18 for refreshes, including 2 branches for 1 month each, 1 branch for 5 months, 1 branch for 8 months, and 1 branch for 12 months.
Performance improvement plan
- Identify what customers value and use that information to increase targeted marketing campaigns in multiple formats.
- Market programs to attract non-users of MCPL's branches.