Why is this measure important?
This measure helps track MCPL's commitment to providing opportunities for adults to come into one of our branches or visit our website to participate in any of our hundreds of programs that allow adults to learn, and improve the quality of their lives. MCPL provides classes, courses, tutorials, and one-on-one training with experts from MCPL and our partners.
This measure shows the total use of services for adult learning, such as English Conversation Clubs, business counseling, bi-lingual programs, book discussion groups, educational seminars, on-line courses, and other services.
Factors contributing to current performance
- Varied the selection of online courses and databases (e.g., Learning Express Library, Lynda.com)
- Expanded branch program subject matter to include health/wellness and social media instruction
- Hired a Workforce & Business Development Specialist to cultivate and advance programs on job skills
and small business creation
- Marketing actively across the County (e.g., "Library Matters" podcast)
Factors restricting performance improvement
- Accessing library services may be limited for residents who do not have applicable technologies (e.g.,
text messaging service to receive library account updates)
- Locating vendors to reliably provide foreign language collection materials and associated materials
Performance improvement plan
- Identify and work with community groups to serve a range of individuals from different cultures,
languages and demographics
- Update and add content to Montgomery County Public Libraries' website
- Seeking collection materials in other languages and expediting their processing to meet growing community needs