Why is this measure important?
One role of the public library is to be a community gathering place. The availability of meeting rooms provides valuable space to support personal productivity and cultural engagement. As a department of County government, MCPL makes select venues possible via the Interagency Coordinating Board and the Community Use of Public Facilities (CUPF) system.
Factors contributing to current performance
- MCPL has diversified the categories of available library meeting rooms to community members.
- "Self-service booking" promotes accuracy and timeliness in customer service.
Factors restricting performance improvement
- A number of branches were closed in FY18 for refreshes, including 2 branches for 1 month each, 1 branch for 5 months, 1 branch for 8 months, and 1 branch for 12 months.
Performance improvement plan
- Create "multi-purpose" spaces at different locations to promote collaboration.
- Provide modern, "flexible" rooms in all branches as they are "refreshed."