Why is this measure important?
This measure helps track MCPL's commitment to fullfill residents need to have access to free or low-cost rooms for collaborations and meetings. MCPL branches serve as community hubs across the County, where residents can meet, collaborate, and create. MCPL branches provide inviting spaces to everyone in the community, including meeting rooms, collaborative workspaces, rooms for educational and creative exploration as well as comfortable chairs and well-lit tables.
Measure increased between FY14 and FY15 due to improvements that allow MCPL to book all public and small group rooms on-line and record those results, coupled with a large increase in group study, tutor, and discovery rooms as a part of Capital projects and other special projects.Projected measures account for the net estimated effects of library closures for Refresh and renovation, including use of nearby branches and interim facilities, and growth in the number of available rooms as Refresh projects complete.
Factors contributing to current performance
- Diversified the categories of available library meeting rooms to community members
- Instituted "self-service booking" for customers; promoted accurate room tracking/availability
Factors restricting performance improvement
- Closed two branches during FY17 for "refresh"
Performance improvement plan
- Explore community interests for using library meeting room spaces
- Provide modern, "flexible" rooms in all branches as they are "refreshed"