Why is this measure important?
Employment at the time of release is the most significant recidivism
reduction measure the Community Corrections Division can engage that is
directly tied to long term success in the community.
Factors contributing to current performance
- The Community Corrections Division utilizes two Work Release
Coordinators to assist in the job search and placement of residents
assigned to the Pre Release Center. The model for employment search was
developed by the National Institute of Corrections and has been
- DOCR has strong, well established relationships with the business community that assist with resident placement.
built and maintains a One Stop Work Center within the facility with a
job and careers counselor to assist with the connection to available
jobs in the community.
- Reentry preparation that occurs at
the Montgomery County Correctional Facility prepares inmates to enter
the Pre Release Center better prepared to immediately engage employment.
County implemented ban the box legislation which allows more
individuals the opportunity to receive an interview thus increasing
their opportunity to sell their skills and possibly engage a job.
Factors restricting performance improvement
- The barriers facing the reentry
population are many. Factors concerning felony conviction disqualify
some returning citizens from certain types of employment.
factors to include sustainable mental health treatment and substance
abuse services create barriers to successful sustained employment.
the Box assists this population in presenting themselves for more
interviews rather than employers simply making a determination not to
hire based on an application admission. The Montgomery County Human
Rights Commission has worked with and educated many employers on this
law and their obligation to comply.
- DOCR is placing more
difficult cases at PRRS. These individuals are scheduled for community
release and are going home. Difficult cases are also more difficult to
assist in employment. While employment is a key mission factor for PRRS,
there are other reentry services that will help the individual succeed
Performance improvement plan
- Continued community engagement of business and resources interested in employing the formerly incarcerated.
- Continued focus on "Ban the Box" compliance.
- Increased advocacy for changes in the laws concerning the employment of the formally incarcerated as well as community education and outreach.
- Focus on workforce development and skill building at MCCF to better prepare the incarcerated to engage employment.