Why is this measure important?
This measure is important because it is indicative of a quick response
by firefighters to the incident scene, followed by fast and effective
fire suppression operations. When a fire is confined to the room of
origin, damage to the remainder of the structure is minimized
considerably and fire deaths and injuries - to both occupants and
firefighters - are often prevented or minimized. It is important to note
that some structure fires have already spread beyond the room of origin
upon arrival of firefighters; therefore, firefighters have no
opportunity to confine these fires to the room of origin. Fires that
have extended beyond the room of origin upon arrival of firefighters
have a negative impact on the overall results for this performance
Factors contributing to current performance
- Early fire detection and fire department notification.
- Presence of residential sprinklers.
- Readily available and sufficient quantity of water for firefighting.
- Four-person staffing on 33 of 35 engines during most of FY18, then on all 35 engines beginning 4/15/18.
Factors restricting performance improvement
- Call processing times exceeding national standards.
- Lack of four-person staffing on 2 engines and 21 other primary suppression units (rescue squads and aerials) during most of FY18. [Four-person staffing of the two remaining three-person engines began on 4/15/18.]
- Number of engines and aerial units will remain constant between FY18 and FY21 while number of residential structure fire and medical incidents is expected to increase.
- Need additional suppression resources to meet national standards.
- In some cases, especially influenced by modern building components and furnishings, the fire had already spread beyond the room of origin prior to MCFRS arrival.
Performance improvement plan
- Reduce response time by: 1) implementing universal call-takers at the PSCC and 2) continuing enhancements to the new computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system to improve call-processing/dispatch time.
- Advocate for retrofitting of unsprinklered residential high-rises.